The Parasitology Group provides a consultancy service for disease diagnostics, parasite identification, chemotherapeutant testing and disease management. Experimental facilities include a dedicated, temperature controlled quarantine aquarium for marine and freshwater parasitology. The Group has access to a range of advanced facilities including state-of-the-art molecular, transcriptomics and proteomic laboratories, confocal, scanning and 3D tomography / transmission electron microscopes. We also can provide expertise in a range of specialist areas including image processing and analysis (e.g. automated parasite recognition), photographic and video services.
- Stone, J., Boyd, S., Sommerville, C. & Rae, G.H. (2002) An evaluation of freshwater bath treatments for the control of sea lice, Lepeophtheirus salmonis (Kroyer), infections in Atlantic Salmon,Salmo salar L. Journal of Fish Diseases 25: 371-373
- Stone, J., Roy, W.J., Sutherland, I.H., Ferguson, H.W., Sommerville, C. & Endris, R. (2002) Safety and efficacy of emamectin benzoate administered in feed to Atlantic salmon, Salmo salar L., smolts in freshwater, as a preventative treatment against infestations of sea lice, Lepeophtheirus salmonis (Kroyer). Aquaculture 210, 21-34.
- Rahkonen R, Koski P, Shinn A.P., Wootten R, Valtonen ET, Rahkonen M, Mannermaa-Keranen AL, Suomalainen LR, Rintamaki-Kinnunen P, Lankinen Y, Rahkonen R, Jamsa K, Konttinen E, Kannel R, Grant A, Marshall J, Hunter R, Pylkko P & Eskelinen P. (2002) Post malachite green: Alternative strategies for fungal infections and white spot disease. Bulletin of the European Association of Fish Pathologists, 22 (2), 152-157.
- Shinn, A.P., Wootten, R., Côté, I. & Sommerville, C. (2003) The efficacy of selected bath and oral chemotherapeutants against Ichthyophthirius multifiliis Fouquet, 1876 (Ciliophora: Ophyroglenidae) infecting rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss Walbaum). Diseases of Aquatic Organisms. 55, 17-22
- Stone, J., Sutherland, I.H., Sommerville, C., Richards, R.H. & Endris, R.G. (2000) The duration of efficacy following oral treatment with emamectin benzoate against infestations of sea lice, Lepeophtheirus salmonis (Kroyer), in Atlantic salmon Salmo salar (L.) Journal of Fish Diseases, 23: 185-192
- Stone J., Sutherland I.H., Sommerville C., Richards R.H., Varma K.J. (2000) Commercial trials using emamectin benzoate to control, Lepeophtheirus salmonis (Krøyer) and Caligus elongatus (Nordmann), infestations in Atlantic salmon, Salmo salar L. Diseases of Aquatic Organisms, 41: 141-149
- Taylor, N.G.H., Wootten, R. & Sommerville, C. (2007) Managing Argulus foliaceus infections in stillwater trout fisheries. Parassitologia, 49 (2), 191.
- Tildesley, A.S., Wootten, R. & Sommerville, C. (2007) Infection dynamics of Ergasilus sieboldi Nordmann in Rutland Water, a reservoir trout fishery in central England. Parassitologia, 49 (2), 192.
- Taylor, N.G.H., Sommerville, C. & Wootten, R. (2006) The epidemiology of Argulus spp. (Crustacea: Branchiura) infections in stillwater trout fisheries. Journal of Fish Diseases, 29, 193-200.